Saturday, May 12, 2007

Running for "LIFE"

Its almost 12 midnite here in Qatar…im actually in my toilet at the moment typing this blog. Well, since I run a pathetic life here in this high inflation country, whats not to be surprised about? I even watched DVD in the toilet only to allow me to smoke due to my room that's not ventilated and the toilet has exhaust fan to keep out all the unwanted odor. I have my laundry basket sitted upsite down an act as a small table to hold on to my laptop while im seated on the toilet seat..not to berry (the term refers to shitting, in a polite cute way of saying where all my frens know that I often experience after each meal) but to write this blog that I sudden had the rush to do so..

As u all know bout my plan to go back to KL, Im now facing some difficulties that I have to think of a best solution to get myself back, with dignity, respect and…according to the contract inked for me..well..thats about to change…

I've just heard from a senior at my office that people who are still under probation, are allowed to leave the company, but with one exception…the flight tix has to be solely borne by the individual to get him or her back to their origin country…no expenses borne by the company..

The flight tix from Doha, Qatar to Kuala Lumpur would poor me RM1,900 one-way..thats equivalent to a…u guessed it rite..a pair of gorgeous Italian made loafers. Am I going to spend that on air instead of where it should be spent, gorgeously crafter leather surrounding my foot to keep myself on gravity? Of course not..nobody throws money on air..

When I came here, the company purchased a return flight ticket for me with a validity of 6 months, where I was allowed to return home according to contract. Since I decided to leave this rich country and return to my homeland of the poor due to substance abuse of designer shoes yet fantastic city earlier then expected, contractually, I was not allowed to use the flight tix to get my ass home..the company shall cancel my return home tix, eventhough it was already paid for. Maybe its some sort of punishment for leaving so soon and wasting their time..well, when there's a will…there's a way…

I planned to tender my resignation by the time I've gotten my salary for this month. i was suppose to serve a 2 weeks notice, without pay, then return back home..the thing is, I can serve the 2 weeks period, but whats in for me? Not only I don't get paid and still extend my sufferings here, the company doesn't even sponsor my flight tix back to KL…I then thought..i have to have a plan..

I've decided to fled this country, without anyone knowing..its to get myself free flight back home and not splurge my own money for the flight tix..since I have the the e-ticket with me..while chewing a cold french fries during lunch today, it suddenly struck me…I can run…!

After lunch, I called my driver. Told the office mates that I was out to site. They were quiet surprise of my sudden volunteering to run myself down to the site, since before I was always giving a bitchy face and with full annoyance that I had to drag myself in my Prada's to walk all over the construction site and gather dust on my expensive shoe. But I managed to sneak out and hit the road..

I headed straight to the Emirates office in god knows where..entered the office and my heart was pounding..thinking that if I get caught..im in deep shit..took a number and waited for my turn, feeling guilt…

Trying to calm myself down and saying to myself to make me feel better, I said "im doing the smart thing…since the stupid company wont spend a lil bit for my flight tix and get me working for free of 2 weeks, this was the right thing to do..i should outsmart them..eventhough technically its unethical...but for the love of my money which is not that much of what i have to be spent on air, it's the rite thing to do..at the moment..

Got to the counter and my tix were ready..i get to go home on the 3rd May..

"There's 2 flights Sir, flight at 11pm and 3.45am…which one u prefer?"

"Uhmm…hold on" I had to think of the best flight schedule. I had to think of a way to sneak myself out of the house while everyone's asleep..i needed time…I was using all of my brain cells to come out with an answer and removing all the wish list stored in my head to make space..so nerve recking with the guilt feeling and my palms were sweating like I was holding an ice cube..i said, "Put me in the 3.45am"..that would give me sometime.and the rest of the guys would be asleep..

"Which would u prefer to be seated? Aisle or Window" I answered "Aisle..my legs are long..i need to sit with a crossing leg" The aisle will provide sufficient space for my feet." He must have thought that was the most ridiculous excuse for an aisle seat.Leg crossing? whatever..

After tapping on his keyboard, he said to me "Sir, I cant book u a seat"…I suddenly felt blood rushing thinking that my company suddenly detect that I was getting myself out without them knowing…I said "Whats the problem?" he replied "Your name is too long, I cant get it to book the seat that u asked for"

With full annoyance and irritated feeling plus the stupidity of the answer the ticketing guy gave me, I replied "That doesn't make sense?? I cant choose a seat cos my name is too long??" The figure of my parents suddenly appeared in my head thinking will this problem happen to me forever whenever I travel coz they name me with a first, a middle and a last name?? oh my gawddd…that's silly isn't it!!!they should have just named me Harris! dont ask why..i just like the name.

I said to him "Are you for real?? Just make it short then..I want to be seated by the aisle.." he replied "No can do Sir..your name will not fit into the limited alphabet slot..we need both first and last name in it..if not, u just have to wait when u check-in later at the airport to get a seat"

Is this ridiculous or what???? How does Che' Engku Puan Sri Rozeeta travels?? Or the Duli Yang Maha Mulia Seri Paduka crap?? I suddenly realize they're all rich, royalty and seated on first class..where I am Yang Mulia XXX, royalty, deprived financially and trying to get hold of the economoney class seat…I said "Fine..I'll get the seat when I check-in"

Got my tix and now need to plan what to do next...how to fled without anyone knowing..how to run back to my beloved family and frens…how to run for "life"…

To be continued…